Friday, August 31, 2012

8.31.12 Goodbye Summer

2012 was the summer I didn't "get summer." Cancer was getting the best of dad from March on, and after May, there were many struggles.  He went to the hospital the first week in May, and never came home. He bounced back and forth between the hospital and the nursing home.  I am very grateful to the staff in both places for caring for dad well.  I'm glad that mom wasn't working full time, so she could be there.  I'm glad the nursing home was 2 blocks from Cheryl's job, so she could stop in frequently and see Dad.  I'm glad for Jerad and Ryan's visits also.  I'm glad that all of my children got to see Dad, even going back to last Christmas.  Last night, Joey was taking his bath, and said, "I never got to go to Storybook Island this year."  I said, "No, grandpa Bill couldn't go to Storybook Island or Dinosaur Hill this year." Joe said, "He went with me lots of other times."

Cheryl and I wondered if dying from the heart complications in May would have been "easier" for dad, than the couple months of prolonged suffering.  However, in the end, we were very grateful for the extra time with him.  We had the opportunity to say everything we wanted to say, and listen to everything dad wanted to say. I am very glad he was thinking so clearly, all the way to the end, and could articulate what he wanted to say.
One weekend we were visiting, and Leah brought Matthew.  After seeing grandpa, we tried to go to Storybook Island, but it wasn't open yet!  So, we visited Stav Kirke and went on the "prayer trail" behind the chapel, which is new.  Joe and Matthew liked the path, and the statues.  They liked the viking hats and swords from the gift shop too. From there, of course, we went to Dinosaur Hill.

It occurs to me that the simplest things in life are often what are most important. Trapsing around on adventures such as these, make for a fine day.  I asked Dad if he thought it was ironic that the nursing home is only a couple of blocks from the Ace Hardware where he worked when he was 19 years old, and a few blocks from the McDonalds where he purchased a hamburger, fries, and a shake for one dollar!  It really is amazing that life brought him in a circle, over 50 years, geographically, back to a very specific location.  He could look out his window at M hill, and look to the east to dinosaur hill. He had thought of that.  So glad for the last few months with dad, and also Cheryl and Mom.

1 comment: