Saturday, August 18, 2012

8.18.12  Rain and Espresso
An hour ago it started raining.  This, in the middle of August, in a year of drought.  The grass is the front yard has been brown and crunchy for 6 weeks already.  We've only had measurable precipitation twice in the past 4 months. I came downstairs and made my espresso.  (Espresso deserves its own post!) For the past hour, I have enjoyed sitting on the front porch, listening to and watching the rain, drinking my espresso.  Quiet times are not frequent in my life.  I find if I don't grab the quiet time early in the morning, the opportunity is gone for the rest of the day.  To sit in peace for an hour is a beautiful thing.  It is meditative. A quiet time with no interruptions...time to ponder life, offer up prayers of gratitude, and equals the sacredness of any church service I participate in. There has been thunder, lighting, and beautiful sounds of water gushing out of downspouts, raindrops on the sidewalks and roof, and rivers of water rushing along in the gutters.
I grabbed one of Dan's mini flashlights and proceeded to check Joe's rain gauge.  Apparently, Joe has inherited the family trait of interest in all things weather related!  We have a half inch so far....and it's still raining!  This is God's gift to me today, and many other people, I'm sure.

2 comments:

  1. So glad you had your quiet time. Too often it's easy to forget to slow down and experience the peace that comes from being still. For me, that alone time in the early hours of the morning is essential.

    I liked your thoughts about the river, too. I feel the same way every time I see the Missouri and also at Taylors Falls when Hwy 8 drops down the hill into town. And I know that Dad is smiling down from above, happy that his love of the water is alive & well in the younger generations.

    Have a blessed week.

    ReplyDelete