Friday, September 7, 2012

9.7.12 Campbells Soup and Pnuemonia

Fall seasonal allergy misery is a given for me.  Last week I started wheezing, and ignored that I was getting worse.  So, Wednesday morning, when I started running a temp, I called for an appointment and left work early.i have pnuemonia, sinus, and ear infection in right ear.  This is day three of the fever, which I hoped would break after 48 hours on biaxin, but it has not.  They gave me a steroid shot, which helped with the breathing for a day, but benefits appear to have subsided.  I called the nurse to find out if they could give me a prescription for prednisone, but they can't before Monday, because of the shot.  They directed me to go buy Sudafed to combine with mucinex to help loosen up the breathing.  You know what that means...I had to make a trip out of the house to the pharmacy.  Before doing so, I decided to throw something into the crock pot for supper.  I decided on this recipe from the Longfellow cookbook:
Crock Pot French Onion Chicken Breasts, submitted by Jacki Roy..

  • 2-3 pounds chicken breasts
  • 1 can Cream of Chicken Soup
  • 1 can French Onion Soup
  • 1 cup broth
Put chicken in slow cooker.  Combine soups and broth.  Pour over chicken.  Cook on low for 6-8 hours.  Serve over rice, pasta, or potatoes.

O.k.  I'm in!  However, going for more of a one pot solution, I added 2 pounds of carrots, (because Joey and I love them...sorry Dan.) and these glorius Klondike Medley potatoes.  How fun is this that there are purple potatoes?

I thought I always had french onion soup on hand, but there was none in the pantry.  Had to go out anyway for the sudafed, so stopped at Rob's for the soup. No french onion soup!  He had french fried onions, and Lipton's dry onion soup mix, but that wasn't what I was after. I proceeded to Kmart for the sudafed, thinking they may have french onion soup in their grocery section.  No french onion soup!  I decided to drive to the nearest grocery store, 2 miles away, on my quest for the real, Cambells french onion soup.  (Their beef consume and french onion soups have been boiled with bones, so it has that gelatinous, rounded flavor that is missing from a plain broth.)  I go to the soup isle.  You wouldn't believe it, but in all 200 flavors of campbells soup, there is NO FRENCH ONION SOUP!  What the heck?  Is there a run in our entire city for this product today? By this time, I feel exhausted and just want to go home and lie down. I purchase one can of Campbells Beef Consume, and one of Beefy Mushroom.  (Again, Sorry Dan.)  I arrive home to throw all together....Campbells, why do you do this to us?  What's up with half your soups having the pull top lids, and half having to be opened with a can opener?

I throw everything into the crock pot, and at least supper is started. Even though I am now 75 minutes behind my orignal thought to start supper.  On a side note, the Beefy Mushroom was really nice over the top of the chicken breasts.  It has more of a gravy consistency than a broth. Here's to supper, and the best of intentions.  Think I will lie down now! 


1 comment:

  1. Still sounds delisious!-love the potatoes. Hope you are feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete