Saturday, September 15, 2012

9.14.12 Permanent siding and Culvers

With the hail storm last May, our neighborhood has been inundated with roofing salesman coming door to door.  There have also been many calls for permanent siding and window companies.  About a week ago, a guy came to the door, representing "American Exteriors".  They are a nationwide company, in business for a long time, over 25 years I believe.  They carry permanent siding and windows. Their advertising is not in newspaper, magazine, radio, or tv. It is all door to door, word of mouth, and signs on completed jobs in high visibility areas.  So, pony tail dude in logo embroidered shirt comes to our door. He was so pleasant, just explaining that they were looking for homes in high visibility areas because this is good advertising for them.  We are close to school, park and church, so we are highly visible.  If I would consent to listen to a sales pitch, their next level would call us by phone to set up an appt. I told him we are dealing with only the expense of our roof this year, so we were unlikely candidates.  He said they would still like to give their presentation if we were interested.  I signed that yes, they could call us.  Why did I do it?

Please keep this in mind.  Everyone that calls you to donate to a charitable organization, buy a magazine, or listen to a sales pitch for permanent siding and windows, are simply trying to make a living in a very difficult economy.  The people going door to door, or calling you, are not sitting at home collecting benefits.  They are actually trying to work any job they can, to make a living. Most likely, this pony tail dude, going door to door, is paid hourly, but perhaps gets a small amount for every person who says "yes, I'll listen to a sales pitch."  Don't kill the messenger! The next day, we received a call from their company, and the next guy who scheduled the appt also was very pleasant.  Again, probably just earning  hourly wage.  These guys are not likely working their dream jobs, but I respect that they are doing what they can to earn a living.

Every person you encounter during the day, the smallest interaction with a stranger even, is brought to you in that moment for a purpose.  We are responsible for the energy we bring to EVERY interaction, no matter how small.  So, be pleasant to people like this.  Don't exhibit rudeness.  Even if you decline, decline politely and in a respectful way. Raise your right hand and repeat after me...

"In my interactions with other people, I will strive to be kind and respectful to all.  If someone is difficult or rude to me, I will seek to be kind even though they are not on the same plane.  I will take the higher road and bring kindness to their day.  When someone calls or comes door to door selling something, I will be kind."

We did end up listening to the window and siding manager that came to do the sales pitch, and got quite a lot of good information.  They have quality products..we just don't have windows and siding in the budget right now!
By this time....it's nearly 7:00, and the three of us are starving.  We elected to go to Culver's for supper, which we do about twice a year. Their burgers are delicious, among other things.

2 comments:

  1. I say this prayer every morning:
    God be in my mind and in my thinking,
    God be in my eyes and in my seeing,
    God be in my ears and in my hearing,
    God be in my lips and in my speaking,
    God be in my heart and in my understanding,
    God be at my end and at my beginning.

    It's one of my favorite prayers because it reminds me to be kind to people in every situation. Sometimes I fall short but I do try.

    ReplyDelete