Saturday, November 24, 2012

11.22.12 Thanksgiving Dinner

We were watching the Food Network last week, when Joe asked "Why don't we ever get to have a whole turkey like that?"  I don't think I have roasted a whole turkey in about 15 years.  I converted to simpler things, with fewer "turkey leftovers"....a turkey breast only, sometimes a ham or a roast.  It's hard to take up so much oven space if all you have is one oven.  This year, I ordered a turkey at the deli.  They charge you $10 to roast it!
Here is Joe with the deli turkey!
We made the side dishes...mashed potatoes and gravy, sweet potatoes, oyster dressing, and Em made the french onion green bean casserole. For dessert, apple crisp or gooey pumpkin cake, with cool whip. Actually one of my favorite things was the relish tray!  At our holiday arts and crafts fair, there is a gal that sells her canned goods.  I bought her "dilly beans", which were crunchy and delicious with a kick of cayenne pepper! Her pickled beets were wonderful, even if only Eleanor and I appreciate them.  I also bought her "sweet dill pickles", which were not as sweet as bread and butter pickles are.  We rounded it out with black and green olives, celery and carrot sticks, and ham and pickle roll ups.
The company was delightful.  For the first time in about 2 years, our entire family was here, including our mothers.

No comments:

Post a Comment