Sunday, November 18, 2012

11.18.12 Author Russell Hoban

For Joey's homework this weekend, he brought home the book Bedtime for Frances, written by Russell Hoban and illustrated by Garth Williams.  I have loved this badger family since I was Joey's age. Bedtime for Frances was published in 1960. Another favorite, and must read for anyone who has a picky eater in the family, is Bread and Jam for Frances, which was published in 1964.  I distinctly recall reading this to emily when she wanted to eat only chicken strips and french fries at every meal.  I read it to Joey as well...
The books in this series are so timeless.  The content is as relevant today as it was 50 years ago.  There are other books in the series, such as Best Friend for Frances, A Bargain for Frances  (in which a playmate tries to con Frances out of money for a tea set) and A Baby Sister for Frances.  I love Frances' parents, and her sister Gloria.  I also appreciate her friend Albert! These books have been reprinted and are available in paper back for $3.99.  The original first print books are listed for purchase without a price!

Russell Hoban was born in 1925.  I learned that he was born to Jewish immigrant parents, and was a World War II veteran. His first wife, Lillian, was also an acclaimed children's author.  Russell looks like someone I would have liked to have known.  Check out that library wall in his office! Sadly, he passed away in 2011, but left behind a lifetime of wonderful work for us to enjoy.
The "Frances" books were illustrated by famous illustrator Garth Williams. (1912-1996)  Garth's father was a cartoon illustrator, and his mother a landscape painter.  They lived on various farms when he was growing up.  He was educated as an architect, but in the end, chose a career in illustration.  I absoulely LOVE his illustrations for Charlotte's Web, Stewart Little, and of course, Laura Ingalls Wilder's "Little House" books.
He doesn't look at all like I pictured him, but I appreciate his work none the less!
America is rich with literature.  I am grateful for the legacy Andrew Carnegie left us with the Carnegie Library buildings dotted all over the country.  In America, being poor doesn't necessarily  mean you aren't well read.  A library card is free! I encourage you to introduce a young reader to the Frances books, and see if they make any "text to self" connections with Frances and her family.

No comments:

Post a Comment