Sunday, February 24, 2013

2.23.13 Last Rites

My good friend, Dona passed away today at the age of 85.  She had a massive heart attack about 5 days ago, followed by another, and several days of ensuing complications at the Heart Hospital.  She was surrounded by her daughter, Joanna, and her grandsons, Adam and Jacob.  She was served by many excellent, care, health care professionals this week.  It reminded me again of Dad's last months, going back and forth between the hospital and the nursing home.  One of the good things about having those months with dad, was the time spent with Cheryl and Mom.  Even when it looked like Dad was sleeping or resting, he said it gave him comfort to listen to Cheryl and I visiting, and laughing.  I thought this of Jerry's last weeks as well.  They say a person's hearing is the last sense to go, and I think it is important for them to be surrounded by positive, uplifting talk. Just think how slowly the time passes, when you are bedridden, and can't get up and go anywhere.
It was a privilege to be present with Joanna, Dona, Jacob, and Adam.  I certainly wanted to be there for Joanna, knowing it was a difficult, sad day.  But I also wanted Dona to know, that Joanna will be surrounded by friends going forward.  I think it is common for parents to persevere through difficulty, thinking they need to stay as long as they can for their families.  Our mind hangs on, but I think often, our spirit is ready to go.
The Chaplain called a priest for Dona.  The older I get, the younger everyone else looks.  Father Jeff looks like he is 20! He attended the same school Joey goes to today, and was ordained last June.  He was very comforting.  I appreciated the way he described the prayers being a vehicle for offering faith and courage for Dona's journey as she let go.  I enjoyed the litany of the saints, and I know Dona would have as well...."Mother Mary, pray for her, St. Joseph, pray for her...and all the angels and saints, pray for her."  It reminds us that there is a spirit community waiting for us.  I think I was about 7 when I realized I feel the Holy Spirit in a way other people do not.  To some people prayers are words you say, but to me, it is like syncing up.  When Father Jeff was praying with us, I was flooded with Presence.  Not emotion, but Presence.  There is a difference.  I am happy that Dona valued and invited God's presence in her journey.
I will remember Dona's spirit of fun, and how she was young at heart.  I will remember that she was not judgemental, but open and accepting of people. I will remember her lovely skin, and how I loved her when she chose to be a red head! I will remember her sense of style, and her spirit of generosity. I will miss her.

No comments:

Post a Comment