Sunday, February 24, 2013

2.18.13 I Love Winter

This week I had the pleasure of working in the northeast corner of the state. As quite often happens, we drove there in inclement weather. It wasn't that the roads were fiercely bad, but the visibility was zero several times.  We would just have total white out for about 30 seconds at a time.  We were driving north, and for the first two hours the wind was out of the northwest, and then it changed and came from the northeast! We drove slowly, and kept on going, and eventually, we arrived.  Often we work in rural places, and have to stay at a motel a distance away, and commute.  This trip had a nice commute, about 10 minutes one way.  The first morning when we came outside, it was -23 degrees.  I love that air, so crisp and cold, where it feels like your lungs are burning when you breathe!  (A nurse once told me that it's really important for people to get outside in air like this, because it will kill viruses.  Who knows?  She said we keep kids cooped up inside in warmth, where bacteria thrives, and if we'd just turn them loose outside a few times a day, their illnesses would diminish.  I think she could be right.) There were "sun dogs" as we were leaving the parking lot.  It's where the sun is shining behind the clouds, and it looks as though there are two suns, one on each side.  We also saw rainbows for two days, just with the snow in the atmosphere, and the sun behind it.  Winter can truly be so beautiful.
This tiny town is like so many in the midwest....the railroad was the purpose for the town, and there are churches, an elevator, a brick school building that's over 100 years old, and a wonderful mix of housing styles, several of which were Sears and Roebuck Homes. If you search these on the internet, you will find a lot of information.
Note how similar this one looks to ours! 
Imagine picking your home from a catalog.  LOVE this price!
There were cottage styles as well.
Our lunches each day came from "Mikey's Bar and Grill".  It made me smile to see they served breakfast as well.  There was a daily special, with 2 sides and a dessert, for $8.00.  Their food was great! There simply was no other place in a 10 mile radius to order food.  I didn't even see a gas station in the town.  The phone company, a bank, a chiropractor, a garage/mechanic, and  a hair salon were the other businesses on main street. My work has taught me there are great people everywhere.  Doesn't really matter where you go in the country. 
My work also made me realize this week, that I would miss winter and snow if I didn't have it.  I like variety, and clearly, I like extreme weather.  It's the one element that has the power to shut the modern world down. 
When snow comes at the end of February, or March, or sometimes even April, it doesn't stay long.  



No comments:

Post a Comment