Sunday, May 12, 2013

5.12.13 Rejected, and Accepted!


No photos to go along with this post.  I was looking for casserole recipes for supper.  Pulled out the "Jaycette Cookbook" from 1981.  Holy cow.  We have all changed the way they eat.  I would read recipe after recipe to guage Dan's reaction.  Here's one of the rejected ones...

"Penny Supper"
6 wieners, sliced
4 potatoes, cooked and sliced
2 tbsp onion, minced
1/4 cup butter
1 can peas
1 tsp. mustard
1 can cream of mushroom soup
salt and pepper

Combine wieners, potatoes, onion, and butter in 2 quart casserole dish.  Combine remaining ingredients and toss with first mixture.  Place whole wieners on top if desired.  Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.  Serves 6.

I just don't see this as going over with the family~! 

What I opted for instead, was fresh, roasted brussel sprouts, and a recipe from the Catholic Foundation for Education Cookbook.

"Swiss Chicken Casserole"
6 boneless, skinless chicken breast
6 slices swiss cheese
1 can cr of chicken soup
1/4 cup milk
2 cups herbed stuffing mix
1/3 cup butter, melted
Arrange chicken in a greased, metal, 12x8 pan.  Top with cheese slices.  Combine soup and milk, stirring well.  Spoon this mixture over the chicken.  Then sprinkle wiht stuffing mix.  Drizzle butter over crumbs.  cover and bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes. 

What I did instead:  Non stick spray in a 9x13 pan.  (Does a 12 x 8 pan seriously exist?)  I also bought fresh chicken breasts from the meat counter, and used 8 in the recipe.  I used 1 can cr. of chicken and 1 can cr of celery soup, and probably 3/4 cup milk.  A box of stove top stuffing measures 3 cups, and I used it all. i melted an entire stick of butter to pour over the crumbs, then baked at 350 for 50 minutes.  I didn't cover it, because i didn't remember to! The chicken turned out moist and delicious, and the stove top stuffing was croutonesque.  We all liked it, and I would try it again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment