Thursday, October 25, 2012

10-23-12 The Importance of Read Alouds

One of my fondest childhood memories is mom reading to us.  We did not have a lot of toys by today's standards, but we had a book case in our bedroom.  My mom enrolled in the parent's magazine book club.  Some of my absolute favorite books that I remember...Miss Suzy, Gus was a Friendly Ghost, Little Black Witch, and The Sheep of LalBah.  I also remember mom reading aloud every Little House book by Laura Ingalls Wilder to us, as well as some Nancy Drew books.  This love of reading turned us into library users very early on.  I recall the old public library, on the 4th floor in the city hall building...hard wood floors, ceiling fans, and Miss Catherine Arp, who was lovely to everyone.  Who doesn't love the memory of librarian's actually stamping the due date on the book slip!  (When Emily was little, she used a kitchen tool and pretended it was a scanner, and pretended she was scanning the books..."beep, beep, beep."  Too funny.)
Joe and I have reading most nights before bed.  As he gets older, i try to have him read to me as well.
Right now Joe is really into the Geronimo Stilton series, and keeps checking those out at the library. it also pleases me that Matthew Thomas will sit and listen to books until I stop reading....
I have now put all the cardboard page books in a plastic bin, to take out when Matthew (and future grandchildren) visit.  In this photo we are reading Dinosaurs, by Byron Barton.  You all loved this book, as well as Trucks,  Boats,  and Trains.
Reading is Fundamental!  Visit a library today.  

1 comment: