Sunday, January 6, 2013

1.4.13 Cornbread

There are a few things that reminded me of Grandpa Bill this week.  The first, I was cleaning out a drawer in the dining room, and found an envelope with his handwriting on it.  He always wrote my name with a "typewriter" style letter a, which noone else has ever done.
Secondly, when I'm on vacation, I like to do the crossword puzzle in the Daily Republic, which grandpa always enjoyed.
Finally, Emily wanted cornbread.  Aunt Cheryl used to make cornbread for grandpa's birthday, at his request.
Here's the recipe I use, which is the Quaker Cornmeal recipe on the round canister box!  This recipe makes an 8' round pan, or a small square.  I double it for a 9x13 pan.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

1 1/4 cup flour
3/4 cup cornmeal
1/4 cup sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

Mix the dry ingredients together with a fork, then add the wet:
1 cup milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 egg.

Pour all into greased pan, and bake at 400 for 25 minutes, or until crust is golden brown.

1 comment: