Wednesday, January 30, 2013

1.29.13 Salmon cakes

Last night for supper, I made a dish from my childhood...Salmon patties.  They are highly nutritious, and delicious.  This morning the house still smells like salmon, and since I made a double batch, it will smell this way for a few days.   Light a candle!

Salmon Patties

1 can of salmon, drained.  (Give the salmon water to your cat!)
2 eggs
1 cup of panko bread crumbs

Mix together and shape into patties.  Pan fry in a couple of tablespoons of olive oil, and a couple tablespoons of butter until golden brown, flipping once.  About 10 minutes total over medium heat, probably less if you have a gas range instead of an electric stove.

When you kids were small, i used regular breadcrumbs for this.  What I love about the panko bread crumbs is the crispiness they give to the cakes.  I do find that the panko absorbs the olive oil and butter, so I added more to the pan before frying the second batch.  I drain them on paper towels after frying them.  They are so good I picked one up and ate it with my bare hands while I was frying the second batch.

This is a great meal served with potatoes of your choice, a steamed vegetable like broccoli or asparagus, or roasted brussel sprouts.  Last night I just served a mixed green salad, with spinach and lettuces, craisins, sunflower nuts, shredded cheese, and a little dressing.  You get the idea.

Dr. Oz is a big believer in eating salmon. The omegas are great for us!
Sorry, no photo  today...just the recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment