Sunday, December 2, 2012

11.27.12 First reconcilliation

Joey and his classmates, 2nd graders, have been doing a lot of preparation for the kids' first sacrament of reconciliation.  The teachers have done a great job.  Parents had to help the kids with worksheets and prayers at home.  My favorite activity Joe did was tracing his hand, and then the teachers helped them write "Five Steps to a Good Reconciliation"...
1. Think about what you did wrong.
2. Tell God you are sorry for your sins.
3. Tell your sins to the priest.
4. Practice your absolution.
5. Try not to make the same mistakes going forward.

Joey spent a lot of time thinking about what sins to confess.  I suggested "talking back to parents" or "teasing my nephew."  In the end Joe said, "I confessed all my fibs." Father Larry does a great job of talking at the kids' level, and making experiences meaningful for parishoners of all ages.  We are fortunate to have him at Holy Family. Joe asked if he can go to confession every week, and I said "sure".  I told Joe I fall asleep every night confessing my sins to God.  It's good to start every day with a clean slate!
Another thing I like about Joe's school, is the activities they do that cross grade levels.  Joe received a card of encouragement about first reconciliation from a 5th grader:
I think activities partnering students of different ages benefit all children.

No comments:

Post a Comment